Tapir

Via Bing Free Images

Hey, guys today I will be talking about the Tapir. I hope you enjoy!

Tapirs are large mammals that look like pigs with prolonged snouts. These animals are found in Central and South America and live in swamps, grasslands, forests, and mountains.  They weigh from 500-700 pounds and Malayan tapirs are the largest and the Mountain tapirs are the smallest species. They are also closely related to horses and rhinos.

Tapirs have four toes on their front feet and three toes on their back feet. They are herbivorous and eat leaves and fruit twice a day. Their snout is a fusion of a nose and upper lip. They use it to pick up leaves from nearby branches. Then they pick up the fruit from the ground or they find an aquatic plant on the bottom of the water.

Tapirs like to spend time in the water because it cools them down and helps them in removing parasites. They can spend a few minutes under the water. They use their snouts as snorkels of they need to hide under the water in a long period of time. They need to do this in case of danger. They also live for 25-30 years and a group of them are called a “candle”.

Click here to learn more about tapirs and click here to learn 15 cool facts about tapirs.

I hope you guys enjoyed! Bye!