Echidna

Bing Free Images

Hey guys, so today I will be talking about this animal called the Echidna. To be honest this sorta reminds me of a different looking hedgehog. Hope you guys enjoy.

This weird little creature has all types of features. It has spikes like a porcupine, a beak like a bird, a pouch like a kangaroo, and lays eggs like a reptile. It can also be called by spiny anteaters and they are small solitary mammals. These things are usually between 12 and 17 inches long and weight around 4 to 10 pounds. There are also two types of echidna one is called the short-beaked and the other one is called obviously long-beaked.  They also have three species that belong to the long-beaked echidna.

One weird fact about the echidna is that their spines are actually modified hairs. Their bodies are covered with 2-inch long spines. Also, the fur between the spines provides insulation. Another fun fact is that they live slow and long. They have one of the lowest body temperatures of any mammal.

Just like a platypus, it is an egg-laying mammal. This is an egg-laying mammal which is found in Australia. After mating, a female echidna lays a single, soft-shelled, leathery egg which is about the size of a dime. They also have a pouch for their little tiny baby echidna. Ten days later, the baby echidna hatches.

Click here if you want to learn more about echidnas and click here to see a video about it.

I hope you guys enjoyed. Please tell me more weird animals that most people don’t know to exist. Bye!